Do Remifa Solla: a poem

Projects using Solresol. Issues in translation may be discussed, but issues inherent to the language should be taken to one of the Linguistic Discussion forums.

Do Remifa Solla: a poem

Postby Siremisol » August 7th, 2012, 8:07 pm

A poem I wrote in Solresol. It's my first try at this sort of poetry: Each line uses each syllable in Solresol exactly once, the first syllable of each line progresses from first to last, the first line has each syllable in ascending order, and the last line has each syllable in descending order. So it's phrasing is somewhat tortured. It also has a pretty nasty message.

Do remifa solla, si?
No benevolence ever, okay?

Relasi famisol do
Regret has no

Misila solre dofa.
Pleasure in it.

Fasol? Remi sidola
Why? Your progress

Solla midofasi re
Always suffers and

Larefado solmi, si?
Impoverishes badly, right?

Si, lasol famire do.
Yes, never harm not.
                        
Siremisol

Re: Do Remifa Solla: a poem

Postby Garrison » August 17th, 2012, 12:56 am

Dosolfasi, Siremisol!
I'm really sorry that no one has given you any feedback - because you did this really well! I wanted to wait until I really had time to look at it closely, because it looked good. I really like your idea; I think Solresol lends itself well to this kind of thing. I love that you managed to make poetry under such a rigid structure :)

If you don't mind, I'd like to make a couple corrective comments:

There are two rather large problems - fasol means 'Why' under Gajewski's definitions, but not under Sudre's. Sudre defined fasol to mean 'here is, there is' (I think mostly as an introductory word). If this was a normal poem, I'd suggest changing it to solfa - 'because'. But... That would maintain meaning, but not structure (and structure seems more important).
You're the poet for this poem, so I'm disinclined to offer up a ton of suggestions for editing it... one idea I do have is, "Fâsolmi! Re sidola / Solla midofasi..." (Malice! And progress always suffers...), using 'malice, unkindness, ill will' as a sort of curse word, or angry outburst. But that's totally up to you.

The other thing is that solre doesn't mean 'in, within', but means 'why? what for?' Again, I'll leave it to you to decide how you want to edit that… I hope you can come up with something :)

One last thing, but don't worry, it isn't bad news for you at all - it's just about accents.
Whenever you use the noun form of a verb, it needs an accent on the first syllable. So the poem as you wrote it would be:

Do rêmifa solla, si?
Rêlasi famisol do
Mîsila solre dofa.
Fasol? Remi sîdola
Solla midofasi re
Larefado solmi, si?
Si, lasol famire do.

The phrasing of the last line is a bit awkward, but I like the symmetry of it, so I'd leave it :)

I hope I didn't ruin this for you - I really like it, and I want to help you make it the best it can be. We don't have much original writing around here, and it'd be great to see whatever you come up with! It's a refreshing bit of creativity :)
I hope you can work some good editing, and I hope you keep writing more ;)
Happy composing!
Garrison
Honored Member

Postby pazeex » August 17th, 2012, 10:53 pm

Cool!

I had to read it twice to get it, but I like the composition and message!
domifare lasolmisi re dofarefa
pazeex

Postby Siremisol » August 19th, 2012, 7:27 pm

Garrison wrote:There are two rather large problems - fasol means 'Why' under Gajewski's definitions, but not under Sudre's. Sudre defined fasol to mean 'here is, there is' (I think mostly as an introductory word). If this was a normal poem, I'd suggest changing it to solfa - 'because'. But... That would maintain meaning, but not structure (and structure seems more important).
You're the poet for this poem, so I'm disinclined to offer up a ton of suggestions for editing it... one idea I do have is, "Fâsolmi! Re sidola / Solla midofasi..." (Malice! And progress always suffers...), using 'malice, unkindness, ill will' as a sort of curse word, or angry outburst. But that's totally up to you.

The other thing is that solre doesn't mean 'in, within', but means 'why? what for?' Again, I'll leave it to you to decide how you want to edit that… I hope you can come up with something :)

One last thing, but don't worry, it isn't bad news for you at all - it's just about accents.
Whenever you use the noun form of a verb, it needs an accent on the first syllable. So the poem as you wrote it would be:

Do rêmifa solla, si?
Rêlasi famisol do
Mîsila solre dofa.
Fasol? Remi sîdola
Solla midofasi re
Larefado solmi, si?
Si, lasol famire do.

The phrasing of the last line is a bit awkward, but I like the symmetry of it, so I'd leave it :)

I hope I didn't ruin this for you - I really like it, and I want to help you make it the best it can be. We don't have much original writing around here, and it'd be great to see whatever you come up with! It's a refreshing bit of creativity :)
I hope you can work some good editing, and I hope you keep writing more ;)
Happy composing!

Thanks for the response! At the time I wrote it I guess I was rather confused and was mixing up Sudre's and Gajewski's definitions. I'll remember to stick to the adapted Sudre dictionary in the future, as well as to add accents. I like your suggestion for the fourth line, and I'll see if I can revise the third line into something that makes sense.
                        
Siremisol

Postby PetGabM » December 10th, 2013, 1:53 pm

The poem is very well made, (after the Gajewski/Sudre definition mix-up) but could still use a little bit of work. I like how you made the format for the poetry, but when I read it out loud, it sounded slightly strange because we have to elongate spaces. Maybe there should be a format that uses an even amount of words and syllables per line?

of course, that would make it practically impossible to write poetry in this format, but I definitely think that we could make Solresol poetry! Again, the poem is really well made, thanks for sparing some time to make it!
PetGabM

Postby mdfewkes » December 15th, 2013, 2:30 am

PetGabM, we could somethings with this format to make it a little more accessible. Perhaps we could say all lines have to match the syllables to the first line. This poem would fit because every line has 1d, 1r, 1m, 1f, 1s, 1l, and 1t. We could then do another poem where every line has 1d, 2r, 0m, 2f, 1s, 0l, 1t.
mdfewkes

Return to Solresol Projects