A compilation of information about Solresol, the universal musical language

Translating Rumi

Projects using Solresol. Issues in translation may be discussed, but issues inherent to the language should be taken to one of the Linguistic Discussion forums.
Hello all,

I learned about Solresol over a year ago, but have not gotten a good grasp on it. In order to learn, I have started a project to help myself. I am attempting to translate one of my favorite poems, Rumi's "Pure Light," into Solresol, and animate it. A few things:

1) There's no sound.
2) It goes really, REALLY quickly. Sorry about that. I am trying to put all the information in before I work out the timing.
3) I extended the color bars to show plurals.
4) The orange came out as a brownish tone. I gotta fix that.
5) I couldn't find the translation for some of the words. I have marked these words with an asterisk (*) below. If you know what they are, please let me know.

Here are the lines I have used so far:

"I am totally lost in the folds of love,
Totally free of worry and care.

I have passed beyond the four qualities.
My heart* has torn away the veil of pretense.

There was a time I circled with the nine spheres*,
rolling with the stars across the sky."

Please, please let me know of any grammatical errors, strange word choice, etc. I am so new to this language, so all constructive criticism is more than welcome.

The video is here:
https://vimeo.com/103471119

Thanks!

Bugsy
That's really cool!

I wish I could give you constructive criticism, but having just discovered it yesterday, I'm even newer than you are to this language. So I can't appreciate your creation fully, but I'm still fascinated by it, and I love the way you put it together, especially the way it moves. ^-^ But I think, in a way, not yet being able to understand anything makes it even more mystifying and inspiring for me. I hope at some point in the future I will be able to "read" the colors and understand it.
OMG! I love Rumi!
I'm finished with the animation of the colors. I've moved on to sound. Hopefully this will be done by the end of the year! I'll let everyone know when it's completed.
I love the visualization here.
Congratulations - this looks great! I look forward to taking a closer look...
Hi everyone,

I'm having a lot of trouble with the music part of the video. I started by making the words in midi on GarageBand, but I'd like it to sound fuller. I figured drums would round out the soundtrack, but I am not a musician and it doesn't sound quite like I want it to. If anyone has any ideas on how to make it sound like Solresol, but still "pretty," that would be a great help. Even better, we could make this into a group project. If anyone wants to take on the sound part of it themselves, I'd be more than happy to collaborate!
BugsyMalone1102 wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm having a lot of trouble with the music part of the video. I started by making the words in midi on GarageBand, but I'd like it to sound fuller. I figured drums would round out the soundtrack, but I am not a musician and it doesn't sound quite like I want it to. If anyone has any ideas on how to make it sound like Solresol, but still "pretty," that would be a great help. Even better, we could make this into a group project. If anyone wants to take on the sound part of it themselves, I'd be more than happy to collaborate!
Hi, I will be happy to help - just tell me what kind of instruments you would like to have there. If you choose a puristic approach to music and SolReSol, then you wouldn't be allowed to have any drums since even the drums that we call non-chromatic or non-pitched, do produce a sound of a certain "timbre", which can be translated as a certain SolReSol note.
To put it in a nutshell, if I play the word SolReSol, then it will sound as G-D-G, which is good, but if I add some drums (which might sound as C to a musician with a perfect hearing) to that, then it might become G-C-D-C-G-C, which would mean completely different words in SolReSol. All that means that normally you are limited to one instrument only (or a number of instruments which are playing unison, i.e. the same sounds simultaneously) if you want to keep the SolReSol message intact.

In fact, in my SolReSol: The Project I'm currently working on you will be able to translate whole phrases from English into realtime SolReSol music and colors and back. Watch the preview of real random-generated SolReSol here (this might be too quick, but you get the idea):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDHvGArs ... zNJJww6iyA
But anyway, I wouldn't like to be the kind of person who invades other people's topics to promote my own software (oh, wait :lol:)

So if you're interested, send the score to sharyphil@gmail.com and tell me what instruments you would prefer (I've got a nice selection of very realistic instruments) the approximate speed at which you want the notes to sound and I'll create an audio file for you.

Cheers,
Phil
I think it does have to do with how you view the act of translation. I've been working on a project where I started by observing the Solresol rules very closely, but as I worked on it, I realized that what I am trying to do is use the language as a tool to generate compositions. That has provided me with some interesting restrictions and opportunities...how to determine note duration, when to deploy chords, how to consider polyphony...
~g
Hey guys,

One of my recent paintings uses another translated Rumi poem. I'll add more layers to it, but it's here: http://progressiveprocess.blogspot.com/ ... c.html?m=1