A compilation of information about Solresol, the universal musical language

Solresol "Suffixes"/Marker Words

Discuss the grammar of Solresol, including proposed changes.
I thought of one thing after I read Garrison's post on forming adjectives: suffixes! So, I decided to ride on over to the Wikipedia page on derivational suffixes (the applicable type of suffix), and discovered we could use the power of "suffixes" in Solresol to clarify many ambiguous words in Solresol.

Below I've copied a list of common derivational suffixes (suffixes that transform a word from one part of speech to another) from Wikipedia, and tried to explain their viability/usability in Solresol. In the case of multiple use cases, I've numbered explanation according to the definition numbers on Wiktionary. I'm not suggesting any ways to represent any of these suffixes in Solresol yet, just seeing what is and isn't already covered by Solresol's grammar.

I will edit/update this as needed/wanted.
  • -ian
    • Covered by Solresol using an accent on the second syllable (one who [verb]s).
  • -ize/-ise
    • Use verb form of noun?
  • -fy/-ify
    • Seems to be used only in slang or made-up words. The only common one I've heard is "liquify", in which case we could use the root Solresol word to mean that.
  • -ly
    • 1. Use verb form of noun? 2. Covered by Solresol grammar.
  • -ful
  • -able/-ible
  • -hood
    • Another ambiguous one. Sudre delineates neighbor/neighborhood, but not brother/brotherhood.
  • -ness
    • I'd say this one's on the fence. Most seem to work, but one/oneness and black/blackness are a couple that are a bit weird.
  • -less
  • -ism
    • Critic/criticism covered by the same as -ian, but magnet/magnetism doesn't work (a magnet does not magnetize). Probably more issues.
  • -ment
    • Looks like it works; noun form of verb.
  • -ist
    • Covered by Solresol using an accent on the second syllable (one who [practices] [noun]) e.g. atheism -> atheist, science -> scientist?
  • -al
    • Covered by Solresol grammar?
  • -ish
    • 1. Just use verb form of noun? 2. Covered by diminutive ("sifa" before adjective). 3. Same as #2 or use "approximately"? 4. Use "from [country]"?
I think a solution for many of these would simply be to use another word (particularly for suffixes that create nouns). For example, instead of trying to equate "-ness" or "-hood" with emphasis on a particular syllable, it would be easier to say:

oneness: Redodo dofamire "one quality" (Okay, that one's still ambiguous)
kindness: Misolsi dofamire "kind quality"
whiteness: Laredosol dofamire "white quality" or Laredosol solladola "white color"

For "ism," there are a number of solutions:

Communism: Miladomi dofaremi solmisimi "collective economy system"
Judaism: Dodolasol dosolla "Jewish religion"
Magnetism: Misifami dofamire "magnet quality"

And here are some more:

Atheist: Resolfa misolredo "Atheism person"
Ventriloquist: Lasifala solremisol misolredo "puppet voice person"
Amusement: Lasire ladofami "amuse condition"

None of these would be limited to any one suffix. It would all depend on what the particular suffix is trying to express - a quality, a practice, a religion, a system, whatever. As for adjectives, very many could be taken care of simply by putting "sollafala" (resemblance - "sun-like"), "dofadosol" (relation - "solar"), or "relasido" (full of - "sunny"), whichever is needed, after the word one is seeking to turn into an adjective.

EDIT: Actually, I realized that the order for basically all of these should be reversed, since the "suffix word" is acting as a noun modified by an adjective specifying what kind of condition/state/quality/system it is.
minlanire wrote:Very nice, it makes me understand more.
คาสิโนออนไลน์ gclub
Welcome back to the forum!