A compilation of information about Solresol, the universal musical language

Neologisms

Discuss the vocabulary of Solresol, including proposed changes.
Hi, Siremisol! Welcome to Sidosi :)

I agree with your general first idea - probably a lot of 'new' terms can be satisfactorily covered with the basic words we have. Some words (like computer, as an example), I'd prefer to have specific words for, though we might not need them.

Once we start making new words, I assume we'll sort them very categorically - in that case, there will definitely be a section for words relating to the universe, galaxies, space ships, etc. It's good to realize how many different categories we'll need :)

In the 5-syllable section of the dictionary (should I place that within the main dictionary? Maybe it's more of a hindrance to have it as a separate document (as it currently is) https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... zX2c#gid=0) Sudre gives dorelasoldo for "Male, female" - presumably relying on the accent system to distinguish them.
Perhaps this particulary note would best go under the Solresol Development section, but... I've given this some thought as well - I think it'd be best to have distinct words for male and female for easy use when the accentuation system isn't available (as with Solresol, it often isn't). My proposal is adding definitions to Sisol (Mister, sir) and Sila (Madam, Ms.) to let them also mean "Male" and "Female," respectively. I think that's a wonderful idea :) They're very simple words that one could easily use to clarify when gender isn't unclear, either from miscommunication while speaking or because of using a system like color blocks that doesn't allow for gender inflection. If I get a couple positive pieces of feedback, I'll change it in the dictionary.

Probably we need to make a section for sexuality as we define new words (and including 'sex' as a not-purely-reproductive idea) - for now we're probably best saying, "I am attracted to men/women/both men and women" ("Dore faremi midomi fa sissol/silla/sissol re silla" under the definitions I propose, or, "... fa dorelasolddo/dorelasolddoo" with Sudre's)
Garrison wrote:My proposal is adding definitions to Sisol (Mister, sir) and Sila (Madam, Ms.) to let them also mean "Male" and "Female," respectively. I think that's a wonderful idea :)
Oh! That is very very good idea! I hadn't realized that sila was Madam or Mrs. - Wikipedia lists it as "young man or bachelor."

And so you're saying that words like "computer" and "spaceship" and so on will get their own 5-syllable words? That seems good. And perhaps the five-syllable words should be included in the main dictionary section-by-section as each one reaches a reasonable state of finalization?
The two main sources on Solresol, François Sudre (creator) and Boleslas Gajewski tend to disagree on a lot of vocabulary... Until recently, Sudre's work wasn't available at all, and then only in French. Our general consensus is to try to hold to Sudre's thoughts as much as we can (but fixing perceived mistakes - I think we're pretty open to subtle modifications of the language).

I'm glad you think the sila/sisol thing is a good idea!
Siremisol wrote:And so you're saying that words like "computer" and "spaceship" and so on will get their own 5-syllable words?
Sudre planned on using 5-syllable words, and the ones that he defined are specific words, like animal names and such. Seeing as he left literally thousands of open spaces, I think we'll take the liberty to define words like that :D
Siremisol wrote:And perhaps the five-syllable words should be included in the main dictionary section-by-section as each one reaches a reasonable state of finalization?
That's a very practical idea - I think I'll do that.
Some words I have not found a translation for:
Sex
hug
snuggle
out
website
forum
lexicon
app
movie
video
disc
fusion
fission
airplane
moose
dumpster
bicycle
Does Solresol offer a way to make compound words?
Not officially, that I know of. Something that will probably happen, though.
It's either compound words, or a lot of new 5 symbol words.
shanoxilt wrote:Does Solresol offer a way to make compound words?
The French-Solresol dictionary of the 1866 book has something, that looks like compound words (or they combination of words?), for example: Immutabilité - misoldola lasol (change+never; Solresol roots is written in two rows). I think, Sudre in the beginning of his work had wanted to unite words into compound, but later abandoned this idea.
Just something I thought of - it would have been really convenient if Sudre left one of the one-syllable words as a special conjunction for joining two words in a compound word.
Perhaps we could use a way that English, and more significantly, French, use to create compound words—the hyphen! So instead of misoldola lasol, it would simple be misoldola-lasol. Just a thought.

Going back a few posts about the sila/sisol thing, I'm honestly a bit surprised that Sudre included those words as well as dorelasoldo in a language built around unambiguity. Although it was Wikipedia that had a different definition, I am still wondering if Sudre meant sila/sisol to specify unmarried people. I agree, though, that if they don't hold that extra meaning, they could be used to mean male/female, especially since "mister" and "miss" are sometimes used as nouns in English.