A compilation of information about Solresol, the universal musical language

Neologisms

Discuss the vocabulary of Solresol, including proposed changes.

Dan wrote:Perhaps we could use a way that English, and more significantly, French, use to create compound words—the hyphen! So instead of misoldola lasol, it would simple be misoldola-lasol. Just a thought.
Yes, but how would we represent that in speech, or stenographic style, or musically? We need to have audio-visual isomorphism.

Re:

shanoxilt wrote:
Dan wrote:Perhaps we could use a way that English, and more significantly, French, use to create compound words—the hyphen! So instead of misoldola lasol, it would simple be misoldola-lasol. Just a thought.
Yes, but how would we represent that in speech, or stenographic style, or musically? We need to have audio-visual isomorphism.
Not sure if this works, but in musical notation compound words can be denoted by a slur over the two words. As for steno, I'm currently trying to figure out how to right smoothly with it. I can see the problem there, as sol is a longer hyphen (basically --). Maybe instead of a hyphen, steno and roman could use a tilde ~ (i.e. misoldola~lasol). For spoken, I'm a bit stumped, but I'll think about it!
Solsimisi wrote:
shanoxilt wrote:
Not sure if this works, but in musical notation compound words can be denoted by a slur over the two words. As for steno, I'm currently trying to figure out how to right smoothly with it. I can see the problem there, as sol is a longer hyphen (basically --). Maybe instead of a hyphen, steno and roman could use a tilde ~ (i.e. misoldola~lasol). For spoken, I'm a bit stumped, but I'll think about it!
Also, are there any official rules on to how to write the stenographic script?
Now that I think of it, there are none (or so I believe).
"Neologisms" faremi lasolmîsi re midosolsol mimilasôl resîre fasolla. Dofa faremi lamisôlsi dore midomisi re fasol faremi redo sôlsimir'e la lâfasi.

laser: lalare~doresimire (lit. light beam)
Atom: midoremi~redodo (lit. basic unit)
molecule: midoremi~lalasolmi (lit. basic chain)
proton: misisolsi~redodo (lit. positive unit)
electron: lafa~redodo (lit. bad unit)
neutron: solfado~redodo (lit. neutral unit)
plane: faresils~resisido (lit. flying machine)
phone: domilado~resisido (lit. talk machine)
digital: midorere (lit. virtual)
virtual: see digital
internet: lasirela~midorere (lit. net~virtual)
DNA: dofadofa~ fâmisi (lit. knowledge carrier)
Twitter (social media site): dôresolfala (lit. chirp)
Facebook: doredola~ladosol (lit. face book)
helicopter= relafasol~rêsisdo (lit. turn machine)

Midosolsol, dore resolsido lârelare mimiresi Dôresolfala mido Solresol mido la lâmilasi fasi dofa.
If I may, maybe limit to words that are both transient through several languages (ie, they mean almost the exact same thing in different languages) and avoid ones with a strong cultural assumptions?

For example, I'd argue against words regarding sexual preference. The idea of strict heterosexuality or homosexuality is an artificial label. This label was created by moralists (I cannot find the name) who argued that the only acceptable form of sex is the kind meant to ensure in the making of children. I am going to assume that the reader does not agree with this idea. If you do, please skip this post.

In nature, the scale of behaviour varies and human sexuality is actually more complex than that (other aspect than the gender is involved in sexual behaviour). For example, it is not a binary but a scale of behaviour called the Kinsey Scale. However, the idea of punishing homosexuality because it is done purely for pleasure and not reproduction has been entrenches for centuries and became more strict throughout history. The creation of the terms "homosexual" was a response by sexologists arguing against doctrine. Before the spread of this doctrine, sexuality was often described in terms of attraction and beauty. But to include these labels into a new language is to accept these labels and to a lesser extent, accept the ideas behind them. Why not simply refuse to complicate a language by these labels and instead stick to describing attraction towards beauty, with gender being a secondary detail.
I have a question.

How do you say these words in Solresol:

Galaxy
Alien
Unity
Federation
Fascism
Communism
Celestial
Being
Right
Negative
Sonic
Millipede
and
Centipede

That's all I can think of. Solsi domi!

Misolsi Misido
Unfortunately, Solresolists hasn’t authoritative speakers or institute (e. g., Solresol Academy). On the other hand, there are many potential five-syllable words, which yet hasn’t certain meaning. We can without doubts use only two affixes.
and = re
right (opposite of “left”) = relafâfa; opposite of “mistaken” - do resôlre
alien = sifarêsi
federation = fâlasolsi
unity = maybe rêdodo
celestial = silâla
being (creature) = fârelado (animal), mîsolredo (human), domîfare (who lives), sisi solsifasol or sisi faremi solsifasol (creature)
galaxy = sifa domido (domido - universe)
sonic = solmirêdo
negative = maybe famisîsi
And I can’t say anything about fascism, communism, millipede, centipede.
Ok. Solsi domi, Shido.
Zixinus wrote:Why not simply refuse to complicate a language by these labels and instead stick to describing attraction towards beauty, with gender being a secondary detail.
Then what of transgender and non-binary people? Many cultures throughout history, and even today, acknowledge three or more genders.