A compilation of information about Solresol, the universal musical language

Mifala v. Fasifa / "who?"

Discuss the vocabulary of Solresol, including proposed changes.
So here's two things I'm wondering as I memorize some words:

First: What is the difference between Mifala (Désirer, souhaiter - Désir, souhait, voeux - Désireux) and Fasifa (Vouloir - Le vouloir, volonté, libre arbitre - Volontaire, arbitraire - Volontairement, arbitrairement, a sa guise)? The verb forms seem really similar - what I can gather is that Mifala means "to want" in the sense of wanting, desiring, coveting, wishing for, yearing for, hoping for something, while Fasifa has to do more with "willpower" or "free will". Is that right? And if so, how exactly should the verb forms be translated to convey the difference?

Second: How does one say "who"? As in "who are you?" or "Whom shall I fear?"
It seems completely wrong to use "mire". "Misirere" seems like it could work for the first instance (but not very well in my opinion) but not for the second.

That's all for now :)
Désirer = to desire and vouloir = to want. So, if there is a difference, it's slight and I can't really tease the two words apart, except that maybe by pairing "désirer" with "souhaiter (to wish"), "mifala" might refer to something more wistful/more of a long shot/less likely to be attained.

AFAIK, mire = who. And huh. I hadn't noticed "misirere" which is supposedly "Who is there? who goes there?" I'm not sure if it's meant to be a set phrase.

Oh Sudre, you left us with so many questions. :/
Hmm. I suppose it'll probably smooth itself out... I feel like because of the definition of "fasifa" as "libre arbitre" (free will?) "volontaire" (voluntary?)and "a sa guise" (as one pleases?) (not sure on most of those definitions) that perhaps we should use "fasifa" to mean something more like "to intend / to have the will to". So something like "I want to go home" could either mean with "fasifa" that "I intend to go home" or with "mifala" that "I wish to go home (although I might not be able to)"... So I guess I'm saying I agree with "mifala" being more of a "wish" or potentially unfulfilled desire. But I would guess it should also be used in the desire of items that are being bought/ordered (I want a cup of coffee... (also that's how Gajewski uses the word "mifala"))

(actually I just checked Gajewski's document and it seems like he's using it the way I was just saying. He uses "fasifa" to mean "do you want to (do something)" "do you want that (something should take place)" "I don't want to leave". He uses "mifala" in the instance of "I would like a beer".)

I guess we'll just use "mire" for "who" then :) I guess it works well enough with context and such.

I think Sudre did intend for some words to be very specific phrases, so as far as I know I think "misirere" probably only applies to telephone conversations (who is this?), knock knock jokes/answering the door ("who's there?") and basically not many other things.
I'm sure we'll work out all our questions eventually :D
Sudre! We need an equivalent for the word "who"!
I prefer for this function the word "misirere". We can use this word as a sentence (misirere? Who is this?) and also as a part of sentence (who...). For example, Mrs Sudre use Dosolfala? instead of Voulez-vous venir? (see this page). So, many words in Solresol may be used as a sentence or a part of sentence.
Also I think about the pair of words milasolsol/milasisi. Maybe, it will be preferable to use milasolsol for the question to an Object, and milasisi - for the question to an Subject (animate and inanimate).