A compilation of information about Solresol, the universal musical language

Modern Solresol (Soreso?)

Discuss the vocabulary of Solresol, including proposed changes.

Do you think Solresol could be revised to incorporate the modern Ti and So?

Si and Sol should become Ti and So.
13%
Si should change to Ti, but leave Sol.
No votes
Solresol should be the formal dialect, but there should be a new, informal Soreso.
50%
Nothing should change.
38%

I was thinking as I was reading more about Solresol today:

As it exists now it's still using the archaic "si" instead of the modern "ti," as well as "sol" instead of "so."

To keep with the modern music system, I think these should be replaced with the new forms, or maybe even built into a new informal dialect that is used in everyday conversation, with the only changes being those two syllables.

Anyone up for redefining a modern Solresol? Or possibly a formal Solresol dialect with an informal "Soreso?"
Dosolfasi, Solmisolre! :D

I think it's important to make the distinction between "Sudrean Solresol" - which is getting as close to the original as envisioned by Sudre (of course, we're limited with this) - and modern Solresol, which is the version that will hopefully be spoken now :) So, for Sudre's Solresol, "sol" and "si" are used. For modern Solresol...you could use "so" and "ti" if you wanted, as there're only 7 syllables, so you'd be understood, but I think it's good to stay as close as possible to Sudre's version, because other innovations (neologisms for example) are already inevitable and will change the language.

That said, even if we keep "sol" and "si" for use in the "official language," there's nothing to say you couldn't use so/ti in informal speech. Also, the beauty of Solresol is that it's sooooo flexible. So really, Solresol can be expressed without words - using numbers, colors, by being sung, or by notes played on an instrument, among other possibilities. It's one of the reasons I love the language so much! 8-)
I have the same sort of "middle ground" stance on the classic and modern syllables. I think the classic syllables should be the standard, with the modern syllables being more informal. Of course, like Doresifado said, there shouldn't be anything stopping anybody from using the modern syllables.

The nice part about the differences is that they're small. "So" and "Sol" could actually be confused with one another depending on a speaker's accent, making the L a less important sound in the word. On the other hand, the long e sound in "Si" and "Ti" is quite distinct, and almost makes the consonant sound irrelevant.

I'd say sure, make Sudre's syllables formal, and modern syllables informal. Let them peacefully co-exist with the other forms of Solresol (or Soreso)! :D
Personally, I'd rather stick with the Sol and Si syllables as the standard, and make official innovations elsewhere (vocabulary, mostly). Like everyone said, though, you would still be understood - innovation with methods of communication is one of Solresol's unique strengths.
The only place I would see it actually being beneficial to change is in an abreviated form of Solresol. As it stands, one has to write "d r m f so l s", and it would be helpful for them to each only need one letter; that would really be the only place I would feel compelled to switch them.

[edit] Incidentally, "sol" and "si" aren't archaic in any sense except the popular English one. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solfege
You'll see on wikipedia that "si" is used in other languages, and "sol" is still considered a valid form ("so" is the one listed in parentheses, implying that it is not as standardized).