Thursday, June 21, 2012

What I accomplished:
  • Began efforts on archiving resources (tougher than I expected)
What's in the works (hopefully I'll actually do some of this soon):
  • More work on the FAQ page (adding and refining stuff).
  • Update the translator database and add more features to the translator.
  • Copy forum design to rest of site (thanks for the suggestion, Garrison!).
  • Fix the recent news and discussion lists on the index page (they work a bit weirdly right now).
  • Continued work on mirroring all resources on the resource list, just in case they ever disappear.
I haven't kept well on my talk of getting back to more frequent updates, but this is a start.

I've begun the process of archiving Solresol resources, and have completed the Authoritative Documents section. I haven't uploaded or linking to the archived documents yet, because I've realized this system should have a bit more planning put into it. I am working on a file naming scheme that will make it easier to organize both on this website, and offline, if you happen to download all the mirrored resources.

Another challenge is the "freshness" of dynamic resources. Basically, in the case of forum threads and such, informing people when the resource was last mirrored. The more I think about it, the more I think "formal" citations would be appropriate for this project. I don't think I would use typical formats like MLA or APA, but I would use a more useer-friendly format that still includes all the information of typical citations. I envision a little dropdown arrow or plus symbol that, when clicked, unhides a block of citation information, including original link, date the resource was archived, and even the original author, if available. I have a rough layout example at the bottom of the post here. Let me know what you think!

I think that's about all I have for this post. I'll get to work figuring out how to do "Resources 2.0", and probably start updating the page to the new format! :D

Layout Example: Collapsed
  • Solresol Website - Check out the official Solresol website, which doesn't actually exist! +
  • Solresol Forums - A non-existent community dedicated to Solresol! +
Layout Example: Expanded
  • Solresol Website - Check out the official Solresol website, which doesn't actually exist! -
    • Source: http://example.net         Author: John Doe
      Publication Date: June 20, 2012    Date Archived: June 21, 2012
  • Solresol Forums - A non-existent community dedicated to Solresol! -
    • Source: http://example.net         Author: Jane Doe
      Publication Date: June 19, 2012    Date Archived: June 21, 2012
Discussions about this post may take place in the Website Support forum.