Monday, July 23, 2012

What I accomplished:
  • Added "Board Watch" feature to forums.
  • Added credit and source link to the translator page.
  • Began updating the resources page with source information and archive links.
  • Added a "Show/Hide All" link to show or hide all the info blocks on the resources page.
What's in the works (hopefully I'll actually do some of this soon):
  • Continue work on mirroring all resources on the resource list, just in case they ever disappear.
  • Fix the recent news and discussion lists on the index page (they work a bit weirdly right now).
  • Copy forum design to rest of site (thanks for the suggestion, Garrison!).
  • Update the translator database and add more features to the translator.
A quick (maybe not as quick as I originally intended) rundown of the new stuff...

Board Watch is a feature that works like mailing lists (such as Google Groups). When someone posts, it sends an email with the post contents to every member. Members here can disable the feature if they want, since it could get a bit spammy as activity increases. More details in the news post.

After reading an old post about when I had just the translator here, I realized I don't give any credit/source on the translator page. Since visitors may be directly linked to that page, they may not realize the source of the translations. I have added a credit to Garrison, and a link to the source spreadsheet.

After figuring out the structure of the new resources page, and the actual layout on the server, I've begun updating the information on the resources page. I have split "Date Published" into "Date Published" and "Date Updated", since the Internet's a dynamic place. In the case of translations, I credit the original author and the translator, and I put the original publication date as "Date Published" and the translation date as "Date Updated". I'm also going to link Author Names to an appropriate online profile, if possible, so visitors can get some background on the author.

Kind of a small thing that I mostly added for my own purposes, I've added a "Show/Hide All" link to the resources page. This link will show or hide all the resource information blocks. I suppose this would make it easy to print the entire resource list with information, but I just added it so I can track which entries have been updated. :P

Discussions about this post may take place here.