July 9, 2017: Sidosi has received a significant update to website security to protect you! Because this update involved changing a lot of things that affect the whole website, please report any issues via the Website Support forum, the Contact form, the Discord, or any other way you know how to contact me. To find out more about this update, read the announcement post.

Viewing Special Characters

Information related to the Sidosi community or the Solresol language
Dan
Site Admin

Viewing Special Characters

Post by Dan » May 9th, 2013, 12:10 am

We've had a couple of posts in the past that have used special characters from more obscure languages. Specifically, we've had posts about Inuktitut and Shavian. An issue reported in both threads is not being able to view the special characters.

The issue is caused by browsers' sketchy handling of special characters and fallback font selection, not to mention ensuring one has a font installed that supports the characters you wish to view. This issue is especially prevalent in the more obscure Unicode ranges, such as the Shavian or Inuktitut ranges.

For now, I'm going to explicitly set Code2001, Code2000, and GNU Unifont as fallback fonts, which should take care of most issues with special characters until a long-term plan is in place. I've attached them (it's a little hard to find the latest versions), so download/install, and you should be able to see special characters.

NOTE: Unifont is ~15 MB and Code2000 is ~8 MB, which is why I am not utilizing modern auto-downloading font technology.
Attachments

[The extension ttf has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]