Tuesday, October 9, 2012

What I accomplished:
  • Nothing besides research (see below)
What's in the works:
  • Restructure the wiki, to make translations easier and more manageable.
  • Refactor the translator code, to make it easier to update.
  • Fix the recent news and discussion lists on the index page (they work a bit weirdly right now).
  • Copy forum design to rest of site (thanks for the suggestion, Garrison!).
  • Add more features to the translator.
  • Complete the information for the Resources page.
It's been a while, and no one's seen activity from me, but that doesn't mean I'm not working on Sidosi! I'm currently working on researching the best method to restructure the wiki, to make it more friendly to non-English-speaking visitors. Right now, everything's based around a single wiki, with English as the primary language. The problem this presents is that non-English-speakers must first go through at least one English page to get to pages in their language. Also, with the poor man's way I set up translations, there's no easy way for non-English-speakers to browse the wiki in their language.

I've currently found a solution I like, and I am reading through it, learning how exactly to carry out the transformation. Ideally, the process will be done tonight (CST), and with minimal needing to be redone. The end result will be similar to Wikipedia's setup, but I will save the detailed descriptions for when it's actually set up. For now, just know the wiki will be temporarily shut down when I begin the process, and then opened back up when it's finished!

That's it for now!

Discussions about this post may take place here.